edible flowers and herbs harvested from my garden this morning
rose, geranium, lavender, day lily, marigold, mint
Once again I turn to John Sedlar for inspiration. After a most enchanting lunch at his restaurant Rivera in downtown Los Angeles, we fell head-over-heels for his Modern Southwest Cuisine. The chef serves tortillas florales with “indian butter,” a spread made from avocado. Here, I take his idea to embed flowers into the masa and make decorated quesadillas filled with brie.
2 c. corn masa flour
maiz seleccionado y nixtamalizado
(selected corn treated with lime)
sprinkle 1/4 t. sea salt
add 1 1/4 c. water, mix thoroughly to form a soft dough
form masa into a ball
cover masa with damp cloth, let rest 5 minutes
take a piece of dough
roll between the palms to form a ball
cover masa balls with a damp cloth to keep moist
place a sheet of plastic wrap on the press, place one ball in the center, cover with another sheet of wrap
close lid and press down on lever
open lid, remove top layer of wrap
rose and marigold
rose, geranium and lavender
rose and mint
after placing the decoration, re-cover the tortilla with wrap, apply the press again
leave tortillas in individual wrappers until ready to cook
slice brie, remove most of the rind
heat an ungreased skillet or comal over medium-high heat
add tortilla to the pan, cook about 5o seconds on each side
keep tortillas warm between folds of cloth napkins
cook plain tortillas, top with slices of brie
when brie starts to melt, top with a decorated tortilla
slice quesadillas into quarters
pour refreshing beverages
and serve quesadillas florales!
Project Food Blog
- Project Food Blog is the first-ever interactive competition where thousands of Foodbuzz Featured Publishers are competing in a series of culinary blogging challenges for the chance to advance and a shot at the ultimate prize: $10,000 and a special feature on Foodbuzz.com for one year.
- Voting for entries on the first challenge will kick off September 20th, and contestants will be whittled down over the next 12 weeks via exciting challenges related to food blogging.
- Entries are voted on by Foodbuzz Featured Publisher peers and rated by our panel of judges including: Dana Cowin, Editor-in-Chief of FOOD & WINE Magazine; Nancy Silverton, Founder La Brea Bakery, Co-owner Mozza; Pim Techamuanvivit, Author of ChezPim.com and The Foodie Handbook
- Winners advance to the next challenge, including one lucky Reader’s Choice winner who earns auto advancement to the next challenge (solely based on Reader votes; not applicable in the final round).
- Join the fun! Follow Project Food Blog for contest updates and help us discover the next Food Blog Star!
(from Foodbuzz.com here)
Challenge #4: Picture Perfect
Challenge Prompt: Sure, you can take a pretty picture. But your task here is to go above and beyond and use photography to create a step-by-step, instructional photo tutorial. It could be anything from how to bone a chicken to how to make your favorite recipe, but your photos need to guide the reader through the steps.
Votes may be cast now through Oct. 14th. If you are a fan of quesadillas florales, please vote here! Muchas Gracias!