Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Wild-Caught Fresh Black Cod
Stuffed with Fresh Black Winter Truffle
Crispy Rice Paper Wrapper
Truffle Oil/Truffle Flecks

This is special. An elegantly dressed all-green salad and a big, yeasty Champagne were its only accompaniments. The heady truffle with its unforgettable aromas, greatly affecting the mind and the senses, is purported to have aphrodisiac qualities. Would you consider serving fish sticks on Valentine’s Day?

black COD black TRUFFLE in crispy rice paper

Remove the skin and slice the black cod into “fish sticks” making sure there are no bones.
Slice several thin discs of fresh black winter truffle.

Butterfly the fish filet, season with fine sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Stuff a layer of truffle slices in the middle of the filet. Let the fish come to room temperature before the next step. The rice paper will become crispy in 3 to 4 minutes per side, so a room-temperature filet will assure that the fish stick will be cooked all the way through.

Soak rice paper (spring roll wrapper) in warm water for about 10 seconds until it is soft.
Place the pliable rice paper flat on a clean dish towel.

Arrange a few parsley leaves and a truffle slice in the middle of the rice paper.

Place the cod atop the parsley and truffle. Fold the shorter ends of the rice paper over the fish.

Use a scissors to trim the longer ends of the rice paper, then finish the bundle.

If truffles are not available, these pretty fish sticks can also be prepared with an assortment of fresh herbs with super-thin Meyer lemon slices or sautéed mushrooms.

Heat olive oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add the fish stick, truffle side down.
Cook for about 3 minutes until the rice paper is golden.

Flip the fish stick over and cook the other side, about 4 minutes.
Tilt the pan to get the sides crispy too.

Let the fish stick rest on a paper towel.
Season lightly with fine sea salt while hot.

Serve with a drizzle of truffle oil and black truffle flecks, parsley garnish.

Fans o’ “gourmet fish sticks” may want to visit my blogger friend Natasha, the Five Star Foodie. She is featuring a jaw-dropping recipe for Fish Sticks of Sole, Chanterelles, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Pinot Noir Reduction, and Baby Arugula Foam here today! YAY for Fish Sticks!

And YAY for Black Cod, rich in omega-3 fatty acids, and found only in the waters of the Northern Pacific where most of the world’s catch comes from Alaska. My blogger friend Joan of Foodalogue hosts a Culinary Tour Around the World and is visiting Alaska this week! So I am sending black COD black TRUFFLE in crispy rice paper over to Joan for her Round-Up of dishes inspired by the foods of the Great State of Alaska.

21 comments • Filed in: Entertaining

21 Responses to “black COD black TRUFFLE in crispy rice paper”

1. [...] of gourmet fish sticks and Alaska seafood might also enjoy black cod black truffle in crispy rice paper recipe [...]

2. Ciaochowlinda says:

wow, what a luxurious way to dine. The rice paper wrapper makes the truffle really stand out. This is a dynamite special occasion meal.

3. Peter says:

Awesome method with the rice paper wrapping to then form a new outer crust all the while protecting the delicate fish meat. Another huge hit here!

4. Ivy says:

It’s amazing to see how a simple ingredient like cod sticks can be transformed into a gourmet dish.

5. Barbara says:

What an elegant dish! You and Natasha are teaching us how to make fish sticks in the most glamorous way and with the most delightful surprises and flavors.

6. wow, fish sticks made posh! Love the combination of flavours and textures.

7. Cynthia says:

I’m yet to eat truffle.

I like the idea of frying the fish wrapped in rice paper. Must try.

8. Beth says:

Those fish sticks? I would serve any day! Visited your blog from Natasha’s.

9. That is completely innovative. I am truly impressed–and I don’t use that word lightly! Bowing down…

10. doggybloggy says:

you have such a knack and flare for things – while even though most things you do are glamourous I am guessing that you could even make crumbs look outstanding…now onto this tasty delight – wow just looking at that truffle under the rice paper is driving me nuts.

11. Torwen says:

Wow, lucky person who could share this meal with you. This is aphrodisiac food…and again…wow!

12. Oh Lori Lynn..Your food is always so elegant…I love the rice wrapper technique..First time I see it!!
    It is truffle month here..there was a program last night on TV..You should have loved it!!

13. Sally says:

How ethereal and beautiful the rice paper parcel looks before it’s cooked. What a brilliant idea. How lucky you are to have fish of this quality. Lovely.

14. [...] Lynn of Taste With The Eyes in Southern CA made a very elegant black cod + truffle “fish stick” using rice paper as the [...]

15. This is an interesting recipe. I like the addition of rice wrapper. Looks delicious.

16. You have so many creative recipes featuring truffles! I am impressed! I would have never thought to combine with in a rice wrapper and top with truffle, this is totally gourmet.

17. huuuuuuuuuuuu black ,black, black wow ! fish stick is well dressed.

Two gorgeous fish sticks today! I think you and Five Star Foodie are starting a trend. Just lovely – have never seen black cod here – it would be a west coast thing (sigh). But am enamoured and can play.

19. Heavenly truffles…this is one well dressed fish stick, wow! Gorgeous :)

I guess we’d have to “dress” for this dinner! Can’t imagine us bellying up to the table in fishing, hunting or lumberjack wear. Thanks for bringing a little class to the tour — so happy to have you onboard and hope another destination will inspire you to join us again.

Oh, yes, and that is great dish!

21. Lori Lynn, I absolutely love the combination of black cod and black truffles you’ve got here, quite heavenly! Thank so much for the linkback and I know linked to your post as well :)