Tuesday, June 7, 2011

couscous salad timbale

Couscous Salad Timbales, Meyer Lemon Confit
Zucchini, Peas, Garbanzo Beans, Roasted Almonds
Scallion, Mint, Parsley, Crushed Red Pepper, Lemon Olive Oil Dressing

couscous, timbale

This is the first of many sunny recipes using Meyer Lemon Confit. On March 7th I tucked a jar of fresh Meyer lemons (submerged in sugar and salt) in my basement refrigerator. Now, three months later, I have this intense Meyer lemon confit which is enlivening our salads, pasta, fish, and all sorts of dishes.

Couscous Salad Timbales Recipe

sauteed zucchini

Dice one medium zucchini, sauté in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.

scallion mint parsley, herbs

Slice 2 scallions, chop 2 springs fresh mint and  a handful of parsley.

Cook 2 c. couscous, fluff with a fork. Let come to room temperature.
Add 2/3 c. chopped roasted almonds.

Microwave 1 c. frozen peas with 1/4 c. water for 3 minutes. Drain, reserving the liquid.
Add peas plus 1 c. garbanzo beans to the zucchini.

To the pea liquid add 3 T. lemon juice and 3 T. olive oil. Mix then pour dressing over couscous.

meyer lemon confit strips

Dice sliced preserved Meyer lemon rind.
Read How to Make Meyer Lemon Confit in my previous post here.

Add vegetable mixture, herb mixture, and diced preserved lemon to the couscous. Toss.
Season to taste with sea salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper.

Serve couscous salad at room temperature.

To make timbales lightly coat the inside of a ramekin with olive oil.
Add the couscous salad and press into shape with the back of a spoon.

Invert the ramekin onto a salad plate.

couscous salad

Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice, and preserved lemon strips for garnish.

couscous salad with feta
A light sprinkling of feta is a nice addition too.

This terrific recipe is adapted from BKLYN Larder. I serve their salad shaped as a timbale for a jazzy presentation. I added the precious preserved lemon for a sweet-salty-lemony high note, and added garbanzo beans for another layer of flavor, texture and fiber.

29 Responses to “Couscous Salad Timbales, Meyer Lemon Confit”

1. [...] Couscous Salad (from Taste with the Eyes) [...]

2. [...] TASTE WITH THE EYES: COUSCOUS SALAD TIMBALES, MEYER LEMON CONFIT [...]

3. Just gorgeous! This is truly a lovely salad and the presentation is fantastic!

4. Foodafok says:

Super salad recipe.

5. Elies_Lie says:

Loves the presentation!
    I never eat couscous be4, maybe coz it’s rare in Indonesia, but I loves all bean & nut u use for the dish :)
    may I know what is the taste of couscous? :)

6. Beautiful presentation Lori! Found you via Foodbuzz. Looking forward to exploring your blog more! :)

7. Karen says:

The title of your site says it all. I’ll be serving this to friends this summer.

8. Lazaro says:

Fantastic. Bright fresh flavor profile. Presented flawlessly.

9. German Mama says:

I will definitely try your take on couscous salad. It looks so yummy and the almonds give it a nice crunch. (Thanks for commenting on my couscous salad!)

10. Karen Eskau says:

Lovely, this fits right in with my diet I have started, this is a perfect variation.

11. Shea says:

Looks amazing. I have a deep love for couscous – it’s so versatile. Beautiful!

12. Jill Colonna says:

Bravo on the Top9! I’m so glad I saw this: it’s absolutely stunning. Love your presentation and the recipe looks so full of flavours. Beautiful!

13. Chef Dennis says:

what an incredibly flavorful dish, and such a beautiful presentation!
    congrats on your top 9 today!

Dennis

14. Simona says:

Very nice! I like the timbales, but I also like the bowl in which you served the salad, so I can’t decide…

15. I really was tasting this dish with my eyes. Beautiful presentation and a great combinaton of ingredients.

16. Christine says:

Looks good! Yummy!

17. Jessica says:

Such a beautiful dish! It calls out spring and summer too. Love the combination of all those ingredients!

18. sweetlife says:

Stunning to the eyes, lovely flavors and thank you for the lemon confit post! loving this lori!

sweetlife

19. What a colorful and delicious looking salad. I can just imagine how flavorful it is with all those ingredients and the lemon confit, plus it looks so beautiful flipped upside down on the plate.

20. I agree, the presentation is spectacular. Very elegant. I am definitely going to give this a try. Great job Lori Lynn!

Thank Brandon – Originally I saw it served in a bowl, thinking, how can we make that look more elegant, exactly! Please let me know if you make it.

21. What a wonderful couscous salad, a fantastic combination of ingredients and I love the presentation!