Saturday, November 12, 2011

Second in a Series of Superiores Tacos Vegetarianos

green tacos

All GREEN Grilled Zucchini Tacos
Prickly Pear Cactus Tortillas
Butter Lettuce, Avocado, Shredded Green Cabbage, Cilantro, Serrano Chile
Lime Garlic Cilantro Sauce

The inspiration for these tacos came during a trip to the farmers’ market. One booth was featuring something I had never seen before, namely Prickly Pear Cactus Tortillas. Whether it be at the farmers’ market or ethnic local grocery stores, if I see something I haven’t tried before, it usually ends up in my cart. And many of those unique or interesting ingredients find a home here on Taste With The Eyes.

These green tortillas are made with organic nopal mixed with stone ground whole white corn kernels, water, lime, and vegetable plant extract. Two tortillas supply 100 calories, 3 g fiber and no cholesterol. I can’t say that they taste like nopalitos. If I close my eyes I’m not sure I could pinpoint the difference from other good corn tortillas, but I sure do love the color.

So now that I have a package of tortillas de nopal in my shopping bag, what shall I make with them?
The answer was all around me.

farmers’ market + green tortillas = all GREEN tacos

All GREEN Grilled Zucchini Taco Recipe

grilled zucchini batons

grilled zucchini batons

Cut zucchini into batons. Drizzle with olive oil and grill until lightly charred. Season with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

green sauce

green sauce

Blend cilantro, scallion (green part only), a garlic clove, and lime juice with equal parts mayonnaise (I use no cholesterol mayo) and Greek non-fat yogurt in a food processor. Season to taste with sea salt.

green vegetables

all green - cabbage, lime, avocado, serrano, scallion

Finely shred cabbage, cube avocado, slice serrano.

tortilla de nopal

green tortilla

Brush a tiny bit of olive oil in a hot pan and heat both sides of the tortillas.

zucchini tacos

Top warm tortilla with a leaf of butter lettuce and two grilled zucchini batons.

grilled zucchini tacos
Top the zucchini with shredded cabbage and green sauce. Then add diced avocado, cilantro, and serrano chiles.

Second in a Series of Superiores Tacos Vegetarianos

#2 Superiores Tacos Vegetarianos

Serve All GREEN Tacos with, what else?  Limes.

The Superiores Tacos Vegetarianos series is a compilation of vegetarian tacos highlighting a unique combination of vegetables and herbs where the flavor profile stands on its own. A series where even carnivores won’t wonder, “Where’s the Beef?”

Be sure to check out #1 Superiores Tacos Vegetarianos, Green Chard & Shiitake Tacos with Epazote inspired by Rick Bayless. And please stop by later in the week for #3.

34 Responses to “All GREEN Grilled Zucchini Tacos”

1. Faith says:

These are gorgeous, LL! Green is actually my favorite color – both to eat and to look at, lol! These tacos would make me a very happy girl indeed. That squeeze of fresh lime as a finishing touch sounds perfect.

2. Beautiful! I wonder if I can find those tortillas though. I’ll have to check my local Mexican market :)

3. Wow!!! I will have to make those asap!! They will be a very elegant “amuse bouche” for a farewell party ! Thanks for the inspiration and beauty!

4. sippitysup says:

Your taco are getting more and more interesting. GREG

5. Really neat, Lori Lynn – I love the idea of all green, and the Prickly Pear Cactus Tortillas, that’s awesome! Love the whole combination here! A must make for our Theme Thursdays with 5 star foodie jr!

6. What a great taco’s colors.Very good idea for Christmas

7. LL, I think you need to re-post this before St. Patrick’s Day! This will be a huge hit. I’m saving this recipe in case we decide to do a party. LOL. I love this green theme. So much fun!

8. Ann says:

These are stunning (as always – you are SO talented!). Congratulations on Top 9 this was well deserved!

Prickly cactus tortillas? I love what you find! L.A. is a treasure trove. So with my humble corn tortillas I will make these – although it’s killing me to buy zucchini when 6 weeks ago I had a boatload!

10. Sarah-Jane says:

wow – these are such an amazing colour. Totally deserved no 1 slot of Foodbuzz top 9 :-)

11. I’ve never seen tortillas like this! These are so gorgeous. I love the green colors. Congrats on Top 9!

12. Blanca says:

I’m mexican and I will make these!!! They look fabulous!!! I hope I can find those green tortillas, though. If not, I’ll try them with corn tortillas.

13. Visda says:

Yum! These tacos look so delicious and light especially with Serrano chile.

14. These look fabulous! So yummy, I LOVE zucchini and prickly pear, can’t wait to try these!

15. I absolutely adore this recipe!

16. AMAZING idea Lori! I love how you put everything together and I can only imagine that the flavors just blend well with each other! Love your photos too! Congrats on top 9!!

17. Green tortilla sound great! :) thank U for dropping by my page.. I admire yours here.. many things bookmarked here.. Have a great day :)

18. Linda says:

Your recipe inventions never cease to amaze me – or to get me salivating! I wish I lived next door, I’d be that annoying neighbour that never leaves :-D

19. Suzi says:

These look great, would love to find those tortillas. Green is good.

20. These look fantastic! You make roasted zucchini sound like an obvious vegetable to forget in a taco. Looks delish!

21. this is my kind of meal! I think I could put that green sauce on just about anything

22. Ana says:

Oh My! This looks delicious! Perfect presentation to compliment a perfect tasting taco! Super easy too!

23. Trix says:

I always say that everything – and I mean everything – is better as a taco. This is just SO fabulous, and I want, want, want those tortillas!!!!

24. lovely tacos looks wonderful

Just gorgeous! I’d love thee for my dinner tonight :)

26. jen says:

I have never seen the prickly pear cactus tortillas before! What a beautiful dish. The fresh vegetables must give it a nice crunch.

27. Kelsey says:

Wow, these look amazing! I can only imagine how flavourful these are, like a party in your mouth!

28. Kiri W. says:

What a gorgeous dish! Prickly pear cactus tortillas sound really, really interesting!

29. Cucina49 says:

I will never be able to find those tortillas here in Alaska, but those tacos are spectacular-looking with all the green!

30. mjskit says:

I have never seen prickly pear tortillas but they look so beautiful and green. What a great taco recipe! Could you make it a little healthier? :)

31. bellini says:

I love to come across an ingredient I have never tried before whether it be prickly pear cactus tortillas or another ingredient. It is how I discovered many items that are now staples in mu cupboards. These tacos are amazing all dressed in their green finery.

32. pam says:

These sound wonderful, even if I can’t find the cute green tortillas!

33. Priyanka says:

Thats so tempting……really tasting with my eyes :)