Sunday, January 8, 2012

banh mi canapes, banh mi crostini, banh mi

Bánh Mì Canapés with Cinnamon Pâté
Toasted Baguette, Chili Aïoli

Pickled Daikon, Carrot & Cucumber
Sliced Jalapeño, Cilantro Garnish

“There’s no reason to be intimidated by the idea of making pâté.
You can just think of it as meat loaf.”
Julia Child

Our sage advice: Don’t wait for your next French or Vietnamese event to serve these canapés. In fact, they would most definitely be a hit at any gathering, perhaps even at your Superbowl Party?

Not only were we crazy about them as an appetizer on New Year’s Eve, we also thoroughly enjoyed them the next day at our New Year’s Day Brunch.

cinnamon meatloaf, cinnamon paté

For our fabulous NYE French-Vietnamese Repas du Soir, we passed Bánh Mì Canapés and drank Champagne while we prepared the next five courses for dinner.

Banh Mi Canapés were the perfect introduction to our meal – a blend of French and Vietnamese cuisines. We took the wildly popular Vietnamese Baguette Sandwich and transformed it into a colorful, spicy, exotic canapé.

Cinnamon Pâté Recipe

• 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
  • 1/4 lb. lean ground pork
  • 2 T. fish sauce
  • 2 t. ground cinnamon
  • 1 T. brown sugar
  • 1 T. corn starch
  • fresh ground pepper, a generous grinding

cinnamon meatloaf crostini

In a large bowl combine fish sauce, cinnamon, brown sugar, corn starch, and black pepper. Add ground beef and mix well. Fit beef mixture into a small loaf pan.

Take the ground pork and tuck it in along the middle of the beef mixture. This technique will give the pâté its jazzy two tone coloring. Compact and shape the meat into a smooth loaf, pressing down on the edges to form a slight dome shape. Bake uncovered at 350°F for about 45 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes. Remove the loaf from the pan, let come to room temperature before slicing.

banh mi canapes, banh mi, banh mi crostini
While the pâté is cooking, thinly slice seedless cucumber and daikon. Use a vegetable peeler to slice thin strips of carrot. Place all three vegetables separately in a pickling liquid. They will be slightly crisp and perfectly pickled in less than an hour.

banh mi canapes, banh mi, banh mi crostini

Mix Vietnamese chili garlic sauce with mayonnaise and extra minced garlic. Spread sauce on sliced toasted baguette. Top each slice of bread with pâté and pickled vegetables. Garnish with sliced jalapeño and cilantro.

18 comments • Filed in: Entertaining

18 Responses to “Cinnamon Pâté for Bánh Mì Canapés”

1. Suchi Dasika says:

I don’t eat beef so, can I substitute ground chicken instead?

2. I’m loving these flavors. Very creative!

3. Trix says:

I ADORE banh mi and this pure genius!!!!

You couldn’t be more enticing. I am saving this for Valentine’s Day when indulgence in required. All those flavors and colors make it worth every calorie.

5. Arhhhh what a beaaaaaaaaautiful dish LL! I’ve never seen anyone making banh mi as canapes! I learn so much whenever I visit. I appreciate your detail work…. we’re so lucky to learn from you!

Oh, how beautiful! My sister sent me her recipe for banh mi and I really have to make your canapes or her banh mi really soon…mmmmmm.

7. Cinnamon Pâté.. hmm. MMM! Like this idea a lot. Never had it but think we need to try it.

8. What a beautiful spread! I love the quote from Julia Child too… Kudos!

9. al says:

meatloaf sandwich with pickles, only so much more exotic and complex! we ate so many banh mi canapes, it was a good thing we had four hours to make the rest of the meal!

10. Peter says:

I have yet to meet anyone who doesn’ t like a Banh Mi sandwich and to make it in appetizer form? Brilliant!

11. bellini says:

Seems like the perfect way to bring in the new year!

12. pam says:

Wow, those look good. I love the fresh flavors.

13. Kiri W. says:

Haha, that’s the best view on pate! :) Looks fantastic with the flavors, and who doesn’t love banh mi? My boss and coworker are Vietnamese and treat me to the best Vietnamese treats.

This is just too fabulous!!

15. Father Adam says:

It tastes even better than it looks. Yum. We’ll definitely have to make this again, LL.

16. This is an excellent idea, and an elegant way to serve a well-loved “street” food. I like how versatile the pate recipe is, and it will make a great option for sandwiches too.

17. [...] Pickled daikon/cucumber/carrot, fresh jalapeño, and cilantro are placed atop the meatloaf. This canapé was fabulous – colorful, spicy, exotic. UPDATE: Full recipe now posted here. [...]