Sunday, May 6, 2012

fiddlehead fern salad, edible flower salad
fiddlehead fern frond & edible flower
tatsoi & arugula salad
avocado, yukon gold potato, dijon dressing

April showers brought May flowers. And with the upcoming opening of our “ristorante alfresco virtuale” Ciao Fiore! I’ve got edible flowers on my mind. Marigold and Johnny Jump-Up, Nasturtium, Pansy, and Borage too. I spotted the fiddlehead fern fronds at Whole Foods Market, in season right now just shipped down from Portland, Oregon. Flowers and ferns seemed like a pretty pairing, and thus this delightful Month-of-May salad was born.

Edible Flowers in the Salad:

• marigold – bright orange petals, some with red tips
  • johnny jump up – small purple petals
  • nasturtium – large orange flower
  • pansy – large dark violet-purple flower
  • borage – tiny blue petals

Ciao Fiore! is an enchanting outdoor ristorante on the Mediterranean Coast featuring alfresco dining in an ambrosial flower garden. My Co-Chefs Norma from Platanos, Mangoes & Me! and Debi from Table Talk will meet me in the virtual Italian cucina to create a captivating five-star three-course meal enhanced with edible flowers and herbs dal giardinoCiao Fiore! is a Virtual Restaurant participating inThe 5 Star Makeover Cooking Group “Restaurant Wars” Competition.

tatsoi salad, tat soi salad

Place cleaned, trimmed ferns in boiling water for 4 minutes then plunge in an ice bath. Toss cooled ferns with olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, and sea salt. Lightly dress tatsoi and arugula with a splash of olive oil and lemon juice. Scatter petals over the salad.

fiddlehead salad, pansy salad

Djion dressing:

• 1 T. dijon mustard
  • 1 T. lemon juice
  • 1 minced clove garlic
  • 3 T. olive oil
  • salt & pepper

Combine mustard, lemon juice, and garlic. Whisk in olive oil, season to taste. Gently toss diced Yukon gold potatoes and diced avocado with the Dijon dressing. Spoon potato and avocado over the tatsoi and arugula then arrange the fiddleheads around the salad. Finish with a sprinkling of a few more petals plus garnish with a whole flower.

wine pairing edible flowers with rosé

For a fresh springtime experience, enjoy fiddlehead & flower salad with a glass of dry rosé!

(eat flowers and fiddleheads in moderation
taking care to choose edible varieties)

25 comments • Filed in: Meatless

25 Responses to “Fiddlehead & Flower Month-of-May Salad”

1. suebsakul says:

Thanks for Good data base n Beautiful picture : Very Nice :

2. Trix says:

Your restaurant is going to be so incredibly beautiful!!! I looked for fidleheads at the farmers market and they were out : (
    I suppose I should forgae but I am certain I would kill myself, lol

3. Bren says:

This is one of the prettiest salads I’ve seen. Lovely plating. :) Just followed you on Twitter. Not sure how I’ve missed that!

4. Such a pretty salad. Looks like a work of art.

5. This is so beautiful! I love edible flowers and usually have some growing in my early spring garden–except this year. I didn’t get them planted in time before the heat arrived. And, I’ve loved the look of fiddlehead ferns for years, but I’ve still never tried them. Wish I could get them here.

6. Speechless!!! I’m not sure if I can find all these ingredients but I truly enjoyed reading and looking at your creation! Your Dijon dressing is a must try.

7. This is so beautiful! I love the idea of all the fresh flowers paired with the fiddleheads! This must be amazing!

8. Congratulations on making the foodbuzz Top 9!

9. Stunning! such a gorgeous series of photos and the salad “sounds” delicious too. Win/win when a well-made recipe also looks so beautiful.

So glad I saw this salad. Otherwise I might not have known about your wonderful website with so many other pretty things.

I live in Seattle and we’re able to forage for Fiddlehead fern shoots. I like to pickle them and preserve them in jars for gifts. When people are served a martini with a pickled Fiddlehead it makes them sit up and take notice ;)

Keep up the VERY good work!

10. Tiffany says:

I have never heard of anyone eating fiddleheads except my dad! Growing up I thought it weird that he liked marinated fiddleheads and would talk about how they would eat them in Ohio! What a beautiful salad.

11. Suzi says:

Oh my, this is one beautiful salad, look at the colors. I have never seen fiddle head fern where I live or anywhere for that matter. Is it considered a veggie? Such an impressive salad.

12. Sooo beautiful – almost too pretty to eat. But I would put forth my best effort and dig in. Your photography is stunning.

Still waiting (not patiently) for fiddleheads. Am tempted to go and pick the Johnny-Jump-Ups that have sprouted all over my patio – this is so pretty. I love pretty and edible.

14. Yui says:

I love fiddlehead. But never once I plan to add them in my salad. I usually simply sautee them with lots of garlic, jalapeno and a small liquid of thick coconut milk. I am so glad to found this site. Tomorrow I should try this recipe :)
    Yours look so fresh and beautiful.

15. Jodi says:

What a beautiful salad, I saw both fiddleheads and tatsoi the other day and was tempted. Now I am inspired, thanks for sharing!

16. Those photographs of the salad are beautiful!

I love fiddleheads and the flowers add both color and flavor – great idea, great presentation!

L

17. Peter says:

Fiddleheads are here too and this salad looks almost (almost) too pretty to eat!

18. bellini says:

I have planted nasturtiums in my plot in the community garden so am looking forward to their peppery taste!

YAY Val! I’ve seen nasturtiums stuffed, kinda like stuffed squash blossoms, too. I also like the tender little whorled leaves (even better than the flower).

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten fiddleheads. I know I’ve never made them. Are they crunchy? What do they taste like?

Gorgeous creation!!!

Hi Joan – yes they are a little crunchy if you cook them 3 to 4 minutes. They taste like a mild blend of asparagus + artichoke, maybe? Fruity olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt jazz them up. I like them for the visual appeal. And the fact that they are totally seasonal.
      Fiddleheads are the young unfurling fronds of the ostrich fern.

20. Wow. That is just beautiful.