Saturday, October 20, 2012

japanese eggplant pomegranate pistachio
roasted japanese eggplant with fresh thyme
garlicky yogurt cream sauce
pomegranate & pistachio

I wasn’t shopping for another cookbook. I was actually at Anthropologie shopping for some kind of platform or stools on which to display some my overflowing unruly cookbook collection. But there on the shelf along with some darling Morrocan tea glasses and heavenly spiced candles was PLENTY, Vibrant Vegetable Recipes from London’s Ottolenghi. On the cover, a bejeweled eggplant dish…I was smitten.

chez lori lynn ~ the library

The first dish prepared had to be the one that drew me in originally. I’ve tweaked the recipe; substituting non-fat sour cream for buttermilk, adding pistachio nuts.

roasted japanese eggplant, pomegranate, pistachio recipe

how to cook japanese eggplant

Cut Japanese eggplants in half lengthwise. Score a diamond pattern into the flesh. Brush generously with olive oil. Season with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, sprinkle with fresh thyme. Roast in a 400° oven for about 30 minutes until the eggplants are soft and browned. Cool to room temperature.

garlicky eggplant sauce
Mix equal parts non-fat Greek yogurt and non-fat sour cream together. Add minced garlic and drizzle in some fruity olive oil. Season with salt to taste.

how to make elegant eggplant, garlic sauce

Spoon sauce over the eggplant. Sprinkle with pomegranate arils and pistachio nuts. Ottolenghi calls this dish a rustically elegant starter. He finishes the dish with more olive oil and a dusting of za’atar. Rustically. Elegant.

Our upcoming 5 Star Makeover challenge for October features squash. I’m getting my inspiration for the challenge from Chef Ottolenghi and his edgy dynamic unconventional way with vegetables…

19 Responses to “roasted japanese eggplant with pomegranate, pistachio, garlicky cream sauce”

1. Food Lover says:

That sounds really yummy, thanks for sharing :)

2. I love your simple dish like this. I love eggplant and it’s been always my favorite veggies (probably top 3 or 5!) but it’s always cooked Japanese way, so this garlicky cream sauce is very tempting to give it a try!!

3. Cara says:

I have never roasted eggplant that way – it looks so velvety and delish! Can’t wait to try!

4. Marie says:

Your chandelier! Just like on your blog. Gorgeous room and I love love Ottolenghi!

5. Norma-Platanos, Mangoes and Me! says:

You have such a lovely home…I get glimpses at times from your posts. I can have eggplant everyday and never tire and this recipe is one that I will be preparing soon.

Thank you Norma ~ well you won’t be just getting a glimpse this coming weekend. My home was on a charity home tour and I am posting the whole tour.
      This eggplant starter was so easy, and quite simply fabulous, no wonder the Chef used it for the cover of his book…

6. Another yes. Love how you perfectly scored the eggplant and love the perfectly stacked books too.

7. Kelly says:

I have to pace myself on cookbooks otherwise I’d run out of space in no time. Though that book was one I had to get after first hearing about it at an IACP convention. And are those stools you use to prop up your cookbooks? So cute!

8. This is gorgeous and delicious dish, Lori! Wonderfully presented too! By the way I love your library!

9. Laurie says:

I think I can smell the eggplant roasting from down south a ways Lori! I love how you scored the eggplant and drizzled with olive oil and thyme and then roasted. I love roasting eggplant.. especially with perfumey aromatics. :)

It’s pretty and I’m assuming tasty with that garlicky cream. I just love this dish — and your beautiful library.

11. Lori – I’ve made this dish and others from Ottolenghi. You’ve done a gorgeous job of recreating it and I love the “library” chez Lori. I would have expected an elegant chandelier from you!

12. pam says:

I can’t resist the cookbooks at Anthropologie, they all seem so special!

I’ve had this yummy dish! A girlfriend in my book club was drawn in by the cover, too, and brought her version to our summer gathering! You DO taste with your eyes and so do I. Beautifully done!