Saturday, April 13, 2013

kimchi pancake recipe
kimchi pancake / kimchi jeon

김치전

I’m obsessed with a pancake. Korean Kimchi Jeon. How does a simple combination of flour & water plus kimchi produce such a sublime pancake? It is kimchi’s spicy, salty, sweet, sour, bitter, umami, fermented flavors when added to a basic pancake batter that result in an extraordinary snack. Complex in flavor with textures ranging from chewy to crispy and a delightful orange-hue, guests can’t get enough of this popular ahn-joo.

With a jar of kimchi in the refrigerator and the rest of the ingredients pretty much standard pantry items, in 15 minutes or so I can serve a mind-blowing appetizer. Pair with cold beer or makkoli (rice wine) to get the party started!

Two ways to enjoy ~ choose either the partially burnt caramelized kimchi pancake or the crispy/chewy version ~ same ingredients, different method.

kimchi pancake recipe #1 crispy/chewy version

Ingredients:

1 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. rice flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. onion powder
1/4 t. salt
1 c. cold water
1/4 c. kimchi juice
1 1/2 c. napa cabbage kimchi (finely or coarsely chopped, depending on recipe)
canola oil for frying

To make the batter, mix all the dry ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk in the water. Add kimchi juice and whisk until the batter is completely blended and there are no lumps. The batter should be of medium-light consistency, not too thick, add a bit more water if necessary. This amount of batter makes about three pancakes depending on the size of the pan.

kimchi pancake batter
Fold finely chopped kimchi into the batter.
kimchi pancake recipe
Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add canola oil to the pan. When the oil is hot, ladle in the batter. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the bottom is a nice golden brown. Then flip the pancake and cook the other side, adding a bit more oil if necessary. If the exterior is browning too quickly for the interior to cook, turn the heat down to medium. Let cool slightly then cut the pancake into wedges and serve with dipping sauce.

kimchi pancake recipe #2 caramelized version

The second version uses coarsely chopped kimchi. The kimchi is sautéed, then the batter is ladled over the kimchi, producing a crispy pancake where the sugar in the kimchi caramelizes to delectable burnt bits.

saute kimchi
Saute coasrely chopped kimchi in a bit of canola oil for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a little more canola oil to the perimeter of the pan. When the oil is hot, ladle batter over the kimchi, tilting the pan to distribute the batter. Cook 4 to 5 minutes until the bottom is browned and the kimchi is caramelized, then flip and cook the other side.

kimchi pancake recipe
Dipping Sauce

3 T. low-sodium soy sauce
2 T. seasoned rice wine vinegar
1 T. toasted sesame oil
a few shakes of sesame seeds
a few shakes of gochugaru (red pepper powder)

kimchi jeon dipping sauce

kimchi jeon & beer

kimchi jeon and OB beer
happy.  hour.

16 comments • Filed in: Meatless

16 Responses to “mind-blowing appetizer: kimchi jeon (kimchi pancake)”

1. Jessie says:

Looks so yummy.

2. Marie says:

Never used kimchi before but that pancake looks amazing! WOW!

3. I am so excited to see this recipe! You have no idea! I happen to have a a gallon of kimchi in the fridge that could play a big role in making this recipe happen this weekend.

4. I love Korean food (but I cannot eat too spicy… so problematic!), and your kimchi pancake looks SO GOOD! I’m pinning now!

5. Cristina says:

I love kimchi and have been craving it much lately. Hard to find a good one without the MSG. I’m so making this kimchi pancake! What a great idea! :)

Never had kimchi. Must rectify soon. This looks hearty enough to have during our endless winter.

7. Peter Minaki says:

Kimchi is big around here…love to try these patties out, bravo!

8. mjskit says:

This is the second delicious kimchi recipe I’ve seen tonight so it’s obviously that something is speaking to me – “Go to the Asian market and pick up some kimchi!” Your kimchi pancake sounds and LOOKS delicious!

9. It looks so delicious! I would L-O-V-E caramelised crispy version of Kimchi pancakes. Love your description – mind blowing appetizer. :D

10. This looks amazing! I am going to try it. Never used kimchi bfore.
    xo

11. I feel I’ve missed something all these years by not knowing what kimchi is. Both these versions look amazing, LL.

12. Eha says:

Oh my: yes, I love kimchi and am sometimes tempted by ‘pancake’, but have never had such together! I am especially drawn to the first version and the next time I make kimchi, this is one recipe I certainly want to try!

13. I can’t decide which version I want to try first! I’m always for more ways to use kimchi since I always seem to bring home a big jar of it. This is perfect.

14. Kim Beaulieu says:

I’m completely in awe. This is impressive to see the least. I can’t stop staring at the photos.

15. Simon says:

Looks absolutely delicious. This brings back memories from when i used to order pan cakes in Sydney from a local korean. But his were with scallions inside (Pajeon or something like that).

Hi Simon – nice to know you. Yes, that’s right, pa = scallion / jeon = pancake. I plan to share my haemul pajeon soon too (seafood scallion pancake).