Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Korean Fried Chicken Salad

Korean Fried Chicken Salad DECONSTRUCTED

Soy & Rice Wine Marinated Fried Chicken Tenders, Mixed Lettuces
Yellow Pickled Radish, Bamboo Shoots
Fried Seasoned Seaweed, Onion, Potato, Cucumber

Spicy Gochugaru Dressing, Pine Nut Vinaigrette

Recently I was inspired by a serving platter. A gorgeous sculpted platter, a birthday gift from my brother and sister-in-law. I had been displaying it as a centerpiece, but had not actually used it to serve any food. It is too special, and fragile. Several of the small cups are attached to the platter, in various sizes and angles. They reminded me of banchan plates, used to serve a variety of Korean side dishes. Whatever I was going to serve on this platter had to be worthy of its simplicity, uniqueness, and beauty…

SERVING PLATTER SCULPTURE

Serving Platter Sculpture

UPDATE 6/14/2013:
Many people have been asking where Don & Kristy found this stunning platter.
It can be purchased at Jill, and they ship! Happy shopping!

Jill Home Accents and Gifts
Palm Springs, California
760-778-8819

Korean Fried Chicken Salad DECONSTRUCTED Recipe

Korean Fried Chicken Salad

FRIED CHICKEN TENDERS

Korean Fried Chicken Salad

Marinade

• 1 T. makkoli (Korean rice wine)
  • 1 T. soy sauce
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 shallot, finely chopped

Combine ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken tenders, massage the marinade into the meat. Let marinate for 20 minutes.

• cornstarch
  • gochugaru (chili powder)

Season cornstarch with gochugaru. Dredge the chicken in cornstarch mixture, shake off excess. Fry in canola oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

SALAD ACCOMPANIMENTS

Korean Fried Chicken Salad

• Danmuji – this Korean yellow pickled radish is sweet, sour and crispy
  • Gim jaban - sesame oil fried seaweed seasoned with sesame seeds, sugar, and salt
  • Juk-sun - par-boiled bamboo shoots from the Asian market are sliced and blanched for one minute, shocked in an ice bath, and drained
  • Diced cucumber
  • Diced onion
  • Diced potato

DRESSINGS

Korean Fried Chicken Salad
Spicy Gochugaru Dressing – this excellent dressing comes from my friends at Gina Lee’s Bistro:

• 1/4 c. gochugaru (chili powder)
  • 1/3 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. soy sauce
  • 1 1/4 c. rice wine vinegar
  • 1 c. toasted sesame oil

Place first four ingredients in a blender. Blend, starting on low, add sesame oil very slowly while increasing the blender speed. Chill.

This recipe makes enough for other dishes, try it on Korean BBQ Flank Steak with Scallion Fried Rice & Tofu Stir-Fry, like they do at Gina Lee’s.

Jat  (Pine Nut) Vinaigrette:

• 1/4 c. pine nuts
  • 2 T. hot water
  • 1 T. sesame oil
  • 2 t. seasoned rice wine vinegar
  • sea salt
  • ground black pepper

Roughly grind the pine nuts with a mortar and pestle. Stir in the water, oil, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.

Korean Fried Chicken Salad DECONSTRUCTED For Two

Korean Fried Chicken Salad

맛있게 드세요

Mas-issge deuseyo (bon appétit)

26 Responses to “Korean Fried Chicken Salad DECONSTRUCTED”

1. I had to PIN this. It’s truly one of the most beautiful dishes I’ve ever run across and oh so creative. I’m enjoying your blog very much.
    Thank you.
    Teresa

2. Nick says:

Not only do they sound appetizing, the look delicious as well. Very well put together!

3. Daniela says:

Hi Lori, just discovered your blog when blog hopping.
    Beautiful posts and great recipes.
    Love the elegant presentation.

4. Oh dear Lori, this is just one wonderful spread–being Korean food lover this is very delicious! Your sculpted serving platter looks amazing, and great for serving those little side dishes and chicken is mouthwatering. Yummy recipe is all I can and one vibrant meal all together. Thank you for sharing and have an amazing weekend!

5. Marie says:

The platter is stunning and your presentation suits it beautifully! I told you I wanted your brother to adopt me a long time ago, what do you think?

That platter is a treasure! And you’ve used it to it’s fullest potential with this gorgeous salad! Definitely a party on a plate :)

PS…I hope you share your quiona pad thai…sounds amazing!

7. Christina says:

This is great. I looks like a fairy world. Do you know where they got the platter?

UPDATE 6/14/2013:
      Many people have been asking where Don & Kristy found this stunning platter.
      It can be purchased at Jill, and they ship! Happy shopping!

Jill Home Accents and Gifts
      Palm Springs, California
      760-778-8819

8. deana says:

Fabulous presentation. I love the little islands of color on the platter. Gorgeous photo too….

9. the beautiful plate with mini saucers caught my eye first! this looks so delish!

10. mjskit says:

First of all that platter is amazing! I can see how it was the inspiration for this salad. What a fun and gorgeous salad! I love eating deconstructed foods. You can really enjoy the individual flavors and then combine them as you choose. Lovely salad and gorgeous presentation!

11. Eha says:

Hmm: This surely must be the most beautiful deconstructed dish I have ever seen in a photo or on a plate in front of me – superb photography as ever! Am not nor ever will be old fashioned or jaded or unwilling to look at new ways of doing things, but deconstructed food as an entity so far is taking a wide berth around me or I around it . . . perhaps times will change :) !

12. June says:

That’s beautiful! May I know where your brother got the lovely platter from?

UPDATE 6/14/2013:
      Many people have been asking where Don & Kristy found this stunning platter.
      It can be purchased at Jill, and they ship! Happy shopping!

Jill Home Accents and Gifts
      Palm Springs, California
      760-778-8819

13. sippitysup says:

I too would be afraid to use that fragile looking beauty. But now that you have I’m sure you can think of so many other things to serve in it. I shall keep my eyes peeled for your future creations. GREG

14. Jessie says:

Wow, this is fantastic. I’ll definitely try this plating. Your pictures inspire me so much. I’m so glad to find your blog.

15. This would be really fun to eat at a casual dinner party with friends! LOVE the platter, well done, LL!

16. Núria says:

What a feast!!! It all looks so fresh and delicious :D . Love the color parade of sauces and veggies!

17. bellini says:

We do eat with our eyes first Lori Lynn and this is an excellent example.

Great display! It’s a wonderful idea for entertaining.

19. What a lovely plate and gorgeous dish you created!! It looks like a perfect summer time party food.

20. Gina Lee says:

This looks better everytime I look at it!!! What a beautiful platter.