Bursting with flavor. And color. And texture. And heat. May I say that this vegan dish has it all. Super satisfying organic red rice noodles are tossed with a savory peanut sauce that gets a hint of sweetness from agave nectar. Stir-fried tempeh cubes add substance and protein, radish adds a zingy crunch, while serranos bring fire which is balanced by cooling cucumber and herbaceous cilantro.
These Organic Red Rice Noodles from my friends at Explore Asian are a product of Thailand. Red rice called Kow Mun Pboo ข้าวมันปู in Thai, is a non-glutinous long grain rice that is reddish brown in color with a nutty flavor and a high nutritional value, as the germ of the rice is left intact. The noodles are made from organic rice, organic tapioca flour, and water only.
Organic Red Rice Noodles with Savory Peanut Sauce Recipe
This delicious Peanut Sauce recipe was served at the Explore Asian booth at this year’s Natural Products Expo West in Anaheim, CA on March 6, 7, and 8.
- 2 T. organic peanut butter (just peanuts and salt)
- 2 T. soy sauce (low-sodium, gluten-free)
- 1 T. rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 1 T. agave nectar
- 1 T. toasted sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ t. salt
Red Rice Noodles
- 1 package red rice noodles – cooked, rinsed with cold water, drained
- 8 oz. block pre-cooked tempeh, cubed
- 1 T. peanut oil
- 1 cucumber – seedless, sliced into thin strips
- 4 radishes – cut into matchsticks
- 2 scallions – sliced
- 2 serrano chiles, thinly sliced
- 2 T. chopped peanut
- 2 T. chopped cilantro
Stir-fry tempeh in peanut oil until browned. Toss noodles with sauce. Fold in tempeh, cucumber, radish, scallion, and chile. Divide among 4 plates. Garnish with peanut and cilantro.