Monday, January 16, 2012

Broiled Lobster Tails, Bobby Flay Recipe
Broiled Lobster Tails with Manila Clams & Corn
Sherry Cognac Lobster Broth with Tarragon & Parsley

My brother Bill is in town from the Florida Keys. I invited him over to try out a Bobby Flay recipe of striped bass in a lobster broth. Being Bill, he asks, “Lobster broth, without lobster tails?” Being Bill, of course he showed up with the tails, mighty big ones I might add. I’ll try Flay’s striped bass next time.

So we went for a hike along the coast, checked out the aftermath of the major landslide that occurred in November, then cooked a dinner that was simple and easy to prepare yet had complex flavor pairings and was nothing short of extraordinary. My thanks to Bill and Bobby.

Your Next Lobster Tail Recipe

lobster tail herbed clam & corn broth, lobster broth, bobby flay recipe
Sherry Cognac Lobster Broth

• 1 T. olive oil
  • 2 small shallots, finely diced
  • 1/4 c. sherry
  • 1/4 c. cognac
  • 3 c. lobster stock, homemade or store-bought
  • 20 live Manila clams, scrubbed
  • 3/4 c. frozen corn kernels
  • 1/4 c. chopped parsley
  • 1 T. chopped tarragon

Heat oil in a medium sauce pan, sauté shallot until soft. Add sherry and cognac, cook until evaporated. Add lobster stock, bring to a boil, and reduce slightly. Add clams, cover, and cook until clams open their shells. Discard clams that do not open. Using a slotted spoon, transfer clams to 2 large serving bowls and keep warm.

Add the corn to the broth and cook until heated through, about 4 minutes, then add the herbs. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

manila clam and lobster

Meanwhile, slice the lobster tail shell down the center, leaving the tail end intact. Pry open the shell and lift out the meat, close the shell and place the meat back on top of the shell. Brush with olive oil, and season with paprika, Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Cook under the broiler until the meat is just opaque, taking care not to overcook.

Ladle the hot lobster broth over the clams. Place a lobster tail in the center of each bowl. Garnish with parsley and tarragon. Serve with toasted baguette for sopping up the heavenly broth.

Photos taken on our hike with iphone instagram filter:

pacific coast, san pedro

pacific coast, san pedro, california

catalina island view from white point

catalina island view

sunset, white point

sunset @ white point

This lobster dish is the first recipe cooked from the 5 cookbooks received as Hanukkah/Christmas gifts in December:

• Bobby Flay – Bar Americain
  • Stephanie Izard – Girl in the Kitchen
  • Daniel Humm , Will Guidara – Eleven Madison Park
  • David McMillan, Frederic Morin, Meredith Erickson – The Art of Living According to Joe Beef
  • Bryan Voltaggio and Michael Voltaggio – VOLT ink

Merci Beaucoup to Don, Kristy, FA, and Gary!

28 Responses to “Your Next Lobster Tail Recipe”

1. My mouth is watering right now. This looks ridiculously good!

2. al says:

wow! the lobster tails with clams and corn look amazing. i love the presentation – perfect lobster tail bowls!

3. Gina Lee says:

Lori…this is amazing…I will have to taste with my eyes or have an allergic reaction. The pictures of San Pedro are just beautiful!!!

4. Laurie says:

Oh my goodness Lori Lynn, sherry and cognac broth.. sounds so yummy!! I love this take on the sauce without the extra calories from lots of drippy butter.. delicious!

5. A really stunning lobster tail dish, Lori Lynn! I just love the sound of Corn
    Sherry Cognac Lobster Broth! Also gorgeous sunset photos!

6. sippitysup says:

I can’t even comment on the lobster. It’s so beautiful I might cry. So I’ll mention the view to Catalina from San Pedro. Oh wait. That might make me cry too. GREG

7. What a delectable dish! And these photos are just gorgeous!

I love lobster so much and don’t get it much (land-locked MN) but when I do – I do nothing with it! As usual you have elevated my favorite meal to the loveliest of tasty heights. A sunset is a glorious thing – and it’s there for all of us.

9. It’s not often we are stunned, but as your page loaded and the fist shot of the lobster revealed itself our jaws hit the table. Beautiful and absolutely mouthwatering! Holy potatoes is right! Great shots of the coast as well, amazing what they are building into phone cameras these days. OF course, it is an iphone…

10. Peter says:

A beautiful dish…I may even throw some Chorizo in there!

11. richard says:

a great recipe! thank you

12. Juliana says:

Beautiful pictures of the coast…and the lobster looks absolutely mouthwatering. Love the broth.
    Have a great week Lori Lynn :-)

13. My husband and I are huge fun of lobster tail. Sending this link to my husband to give him a hint (that I want to eat this). ;-) Thanks for the email subscription – my life as well as others will be easier. muhahaha.

14. I love that you called it your next lobster tail recipe!! Lobster is ridiculously expensive in the UK – would love to be able to cook it regularly. Photos really are stunning.

15. I am going to treat myself to a lobster tail and make this. My mouth is watering.

16. Priyanka says:

The moment i saw the pics the first word the came to my head—KILLER. Thats wht it is…super tempting. Lovely photos

17. Frank says:

A gorgeous dish, a gorgeous setting. Pure heaven.

18. I suspect this would translate beautifully to our local Moreton Bay Bugs. Your recipe sounds as divine as those images look.

19. nina says:

This is a mean, mean post. I have just spent a month holiday on our West Coast where we had crayfish in abundance. Now I miss it all over again. Love the addition of corn, rustic, yet so elegantly presented!!

20. delish..! your picture amazing.. i’m crazy with istagram filter too right now

cheers

21. Linda says:

You live in such a beautiful part of the world – and you’re so lucky to have access to those beautiful lobsters and clams! Trying to eat my screen…

22. o my…the lobster tail looks HEAVENLY!!!
    The photos are breathtaking!

23. Marie says:

You are one lucky girl, you have the best brothers! But they’re also lucky to have a sister who is such a fabulous cook! xox

24. sara826 says:

Beautiful pictures. All I see is white out my window (michigan). I am a lobster lover but I have never cooked it myself. I might have to give this recipe a try!

25. Kiri W. says:

Oh man, my mouth is watering! The broth with cognac sounds beyond amazing, too. You should come and cook for me! ;)
    The pictures, as always, are positively stunning.

26. Susie says:

This dish looks amazing and the photos are fantastic.

27. Holy potatoes! What a GORGEOUS lobster tail!