Wild Mushroom Still Life
There was absolutely no way I could resist the fantastic selection of exotic mushrooms for sale at the Torrance Farmers Market. Chanterelles, Black Trumpets, Cordycep Militaris, Chestnut Royale, Wood Ear, Persimmon Enoki and Blue Foots to name a few… I paired them with Pink Peppercorns from my neighborhood trees to create a mysterious and colorful Wild Mushroom Still Life. Due to their psychedelic deep lilac colored stems, the Blue Foots just had to take center stage.
- blue foot (pied bleu) – highly perfumed aroma and flavor, cook before eating
- chanterelles – nutty with a fruity aroma
- cordeycep militaris – savory earthy-nutty flavor
- persimmon enoki – impossibly fruity!
- black trumpet – buttery woodsy smoky flavor
- chestnut royale – porous texture absorbs other flavors (like butter) well
- wood ear – crunchy gelatinous texture
After the photoshoot, what did I do with all those various wild mushrooms?