Deviled Eyes Buried in Garlicky Black Bean Spaghetti Spoons
Happy Halloween! DEVILED Eyes BURIED in Garlicky Black Bean Spaghetti Spoons are the first in a series of three original FRIGHTFULLY fun and flavorful BLACK bean spaghetti recipes developed for my friends at Explore Cuisine.
The challenge was to create three UNNERVING recipes with a GHOULISH bent. They needed to be CREEPY yes, but also DEVILISHLY delicious with a unique presentation – the first ones to DISAPPEAR from the halloween buffet.
To keep the VAMPIRES at bay, dish #1 is quite garlicky. BLACK spaghetti is tossed with olive oil, GARLIC, fresh herbs, red chile flakes and crumbled egg yolk, while EERIE eyeballs are flavored with GARLIC mayonnaise. BLOODSUCKERS BEWARE!
- 8 Hard Boiled Eggs
- Food Coloring – one drop or two of desired colors, plus water to dilute
- 4 Jumbo Black Olives
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Mayonnaise
- 1 envelope (about ¼ oz.) Unflavored Gelatin – prepare according to packet instructions. (There will be more gelatin than needed for this recipe).
- Two sharp thin tubes for cutting hard-boiled egg into (1) the size of an iris, and (2) into the size of a pupil.
- Fine paintbrush to paint food coloring.
- Pastry brush for brushing gelatin.
Use the larger tube to cut the top of the egg in a circle for the iris. Remove the egg white plug. Paint the egg white plug with diluted food coloring to look like an iris. Let dry.
Use the smaller tube to cut out a place for the pupil in the painted iris. Use the same tube to cut a pupil out of the black olive. Place the olive pupil into the iris.
Cut off the bottom third of the egg so it will nestle in the spaghetti spoon. Reserve any hard-boiled egg yolks for spaghetti recipe.
Scoop out a small amount of the egg yolk from the top of the egg to make room for mayonnaise. Squirt garlic mayonnaise into the hollow top of the hard-boiled egg, and then replace the iris plug.
Paint food coloring bloodshot lines around the iris. Let dry.
Finish by brushing a light coat of slightly thickened gelatin glaze over the entire eye to give an authentic glossy finish.
Garlicky Black Bean Spaghetti Spoons
- 1 box Explore Cuisine black bean spaghetti – cooked, drained
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T. fresh herbs, finely chopped – such as tarragon, parsley, chives
- salt, to taste
- red chili flakes, to taste
- 1 T. cooked egg yolk, grated
In a medium bowl – combine olive oil with garlic, herbs, salt and chili flakes. Add spaghetti and toss. Sprinkle with grated egg yolk.
Arrange spaghetti in decorative serving spoons. Place deviled eyes in center.
A GHOST steals a SPOOKY spaghetti spoon from the buffet…
Dishes #2 and #3 are now posted!
Many thanks to my talented friend Lauren for her help with this fun project!
Read more about Black Bean Spaghetti, a unique pasta made of black beans (organic, gluten-free, lower-carb) here.
You may see my halloween recipes and images on other sites, as long as credit is properly given, they have permission to use my images .