Savory Greek Yogurt with Kale Pesto
Recipe by Nicole Putzel
With the summer solstice fast approaching, I decided to choose a recipe from the “Summer” section of Nicole’s veggie-centric cookbook, The Seasoned Plate: Delicious and Healthy Real Food.
This Greek Yogurt parfait is super fresh, colorful, and mighty flavorful. Kale pesto is simultaneously earthy, nutty, garlicky, and salty. All these savory flavors harmonize with the creamy yogurt and are layered with blackberries, tomatoes, avocado, and walnuts for a delightful healthy cool lunch on a hot day.
Yogurt Parfait Recipe and Cookbook Giveaway!
for the kale pesto (makes 2 cups)
8 c. stemmed and chopped kale
1 c. grated parmesan cheese
3/4 c. olive oil
1/2 c. pine nuts
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 t. sea salt
pinch red pepper flakes
for the yogurt (makes 1 serving)
1 c. plain Greek yogurt
1/4 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 c. fresh blackberries
1/2 avocado, pitted and sliced
1 T. kale pesto
handful chopped walnuts
pinch sea salt
olive oil, for drizzling
- Make pesto: Bring large pot of water to a boil. Fill large bowl with ice cubes and cold water.
- Add kale to boiling water and blanch 3 minutes. Using tongs or slotted spoon, remove kale from water and submerge 3 minutes in ice bath to shock (stop cooking process and maintains bright green color).
- Remove kale from ice bath and squeeze out excess water.
- Place kale, parmesan cheese, olive oil, pine nuts, garlic, sea salt, and red pepper flakes in food processor and puree until smooth.
- Make yogurt: Place yogurt in bowl and add cherry tomatoes, blackberries, avocado, kale pesto, and walnuts. Sprinkle with sea salt and drizzle with olive oil.
I layered the ingredients in a parfait glass and used a bit more of that delicious pesto. Layering from bottom up: yogurt-avocado-pesto; yogurt-tomatoes-pesto; yogurt-blackberries-walnuts.
Other Inspired Vegetarian Recipes by Nicole Putzel
Vegetarian Springtime Rigatoni recipe here.
Kale Salad with Lemon Basil Buttermilk Ranch Dressing recipe here.
Cookbook Giveaway Thru 6/14/2020
There’s still time and your chances to win are GOOD!
Nicole has generously offered to give away a copy of her wonderful cookbook, The Seasoned Plate: Delicious and Healthy Real Food. For a chance to win, simply follow us and leave a comment.
- Must follow both @putzelkitchen and @tasteblog on Instagram.
- Leave a comment on either of our Instagram sites. Or leave a comment on Taste With The Eyes or on Putzel Kitchen, or either of our Facebook pages.
- The lucky winner picked by random on Sunday evening June 14, 2020. Winner announced Monday June 15, 2020.
UPDATE: Congrats to the Cookbook Winner @siegalpaula !!!