Saturday, January 16, 2010

Eggless Egg Salad
I have been on a cholesterol-lowering regimen for over 5 months now. My total cholesterol has gone from 280 on July 29th to 209 on December 17th. It is definitely a lifestyle change, one that I will continue forever. And I’m fortunate my cholesterol can be controlled through diet and exercise.
Friends and family ask, “how’s it going?” To be honest, it’s kinda fun. I just choose to eat the foods higher in fiber, lower in cholesterol, ones that include the heart healthy oils. One of the best parts of cooking is the creativity, and this heart healthy cooking is no exception. Occasionally I eat my old favorites (like gorgonzola with truffle honey), just less frequently and in smaller portions. In fact, we will be having a Porchetta Party here next weekend! So I’ll be enjoying (a smaller portion of) that luscious crispy pork too, but I’ll probably have oatmeal for breakfast. And I’ll skip the leftovers.
Here’s a recipe I came up with after trying the eggless egg salad from Trader Joe’s. Theirs is pretty good, but doesn’t compare with good ol’ homemade.

Eggless Egg Salad Ingredients

• Organic Firm Tofu – one package
  • Celery – half stalk plus leaves
  • Shallot – one small clove
  • Dill (fresh) – 1/2 t. or (dried) – 1/4 t.
  • Turmeric – 1/2 t.
  • Dijon Mustard – 1 t.
  • Dill Pickle Relish – 2 t.
  • Onion Powder – 1/4 t.
  • Garlic Powder – 1/4 t.
  • Cholesterol Free Canola Mayonnaise – 1/4 c.
  • Sea Salt – to taste, use sparingly
  • Smoked Paprika – to garnish

Put one-quarter of the block of tofu in a food processor with all the ingredients listed above except salt and paprika. Blend until combined. Add the remaining three-quarter block of tofu and pulse until mixed but not smooth, keeping a course texture. Taste. Adjust ingredients and salt to your liking. Add more turmeric if it needs more authentic egg salad color.

Serve on toasted whole wheat & flax bread.
Looking forward, I’m excited to share some of my tasty and satisfying heart healthy dishes on Taste With The Eyes, especially now that I know my regimen is successful. And since I entertain often, I will continue to post those other delicious dishes as well.

Here’s to a Healthy 2010!
And to a Healthy Heart!

26 Responses to “Eggless Egg Salad”

1. [...] version is made with non-fat Greek yogurt and non-fat kefir. Last July I found out I needed to lower my cholesterol, since then I’ve really enjoyed researching and creating heart healthy [...]

2. luluu says:

wow, wonderfully healthful recipe! such a great job you did on shredding off those weights!

3. Erin Fisher says:

OOO I may have to try that out. I have been on the TJ eggless kick for a month now, I keep eating it! :)

4. Susan says:

This looks really, really good, LL. As much as I like deviled eggs, I've never been fond of egg salad. This recipe is just the thing for me. Thanks!

5. LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! says:

What a great recipe! I recently developed an egg allergy which has been horrible. I so miss eggsalad and hopefully this will fill a void =)

6. Manggy says:

Ooh, nice. I don't mind tofu so I might have to give this a try. (Extra points for not using egg substitute :)

You know – I'm going to try this. Today. I am also trying to lower my cholesterol without drugs – and I just do without. Not always happily. This truly looks scrumptious and I do love tofu. So versatile.

8. T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types says:

I had to wonder when I saw the title, and of course, tofu is the answer! This looks delicious, and as a life long egg salad fan, I would welcome a serving of this!

9. Nina Timm says:

I am ashamed to admit that I have bought tofu once and then could not get my mind around eating it…. this egg salad however looks so good and I have to check my cholesterol as well!!!

10. Tasty Eats At Home says:

I would have never thought of using tofu in a salad like this. Great job on your lifestyle change – and keep these kind of yummy treats coming!

11. Simona says:

I hope the trend shown by the test continues. To a healthy heart!

12. NOELLE says:

DId you know that I wanted eggless salad so much today? I did not have a recipe and I had boiled some eggs for my husband since he is not vegan. I made himthe traditional salad but I made myself something else. I could have had this recipe! Thanks! I am going to try this soon!

13. Tien says:

Hi, I will give your recipe a try. We are definely trying to eat healthier at our house too. -Tien

14. Sook says:

What a great idea! Good job on lowering your cholesterol level! :)

15. Proud Italian Cook says:

Good for you LL, I too have been eating way smaller potions and more vegetarian dishes during the week. Looking forward to all your upcoming posts!

16. Pam says:

From 280 to 209! Good job!

17. FA says:

Brava, LL, for your diligence…and it's paid off. Good job! Love this egg salad, too. I'm gonna give it a try.

18. ParisBreakfasts says:

WOW That is one BIG change!
    Have you tried Tempeh?
    Fun and interesting..
    Bon chance on the good works
    Carolg

I'm on a cholesterol-lowering journey too. Oatmeal, lots of veggies, omega 3 supplements and less eggs and oil (even the good one).

20. Foodie with Little Thyme! says:

WOW! Congrats and way too go!
    This looks wonderful. My dad suffers from high cholesterol so I'll try this and share it with him! Thanks for sharing your new passion!

21. Lori Lynn says:

caribbeanvegan – that is so good to know! Thank you!
    I will definitely look for that salt. So glad I found your blog (through Cynthia), I will learn a lot of good vegan techniques I think.

22. caribbeanvegan says:

You need to use black salt if you want it to taste like your favourite. Black salt mimics the smell of hard boiled eggs. Try it with black salt next time which also goes by the name Kala Namak

23. Chef E says:

I have a HB problem, and have to limit my salting food while cooking, but I love egg salad. I have not however made it in years, but this has me drooling, so I am going to try it. My clients eat vegetarian and I know they will love me passing on your recipe, so Thanks!

24. Susan says:

Good for you for lowering your cholesterol. What a significant change. Moderation is the key to all of life it seems.

25. Ciao Chow Linda says:

brava to you for sticking to your guns and lowering your cholesterol so much. I should take your example.